Sunday, October 12, 2008

Nigerian Culture Day at the American School



Since school started I have been doing some substituting at the American International School (AIS) in Lagos. Last week and this week I subbed for the art teacher. All of the projects that we did were put on display on Friday, which was the annual Nigerian Culture Day. Everyone wore traditional clothes and there were all sorts of special events throughout the day.


Opening ceremony of Culture Day with horses.



A few of the kids dressed up.

The closing ceremony was held in the courtyard

Some Jr. High kids in the art room

There was a mini market set up on the tennis courts that the kids and teachers could shop at. Luckily for Dave I only had about 1000 naira on me, (about $10).
For the closing ceremony a traditional wedding ceremony was recreated.

One of the murals that the kids worked on.


This is Andrew, the art Teaching Assistant. He is a Nigerian artist and painted the mural he is standing beside. He is making Dave and I an original piece of art for our living room when we come back to Texas.
A few of the moms in native dress. Lots of parents came to the event.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

That is so cool. I especially like all of the kids dressed up and the idea of you having a new piece of art when you come back home.

I'm glad you are keeping busy in a good way (as opposed to the becoming an obsessive ebay shopper way)!

Jenn said...

That is awesome.. It looks like a lot of fun, and I love the mental picture of you with a paint brush..

Dave & Suzanne said...

It was lots of fun. I would be an obessive ebay shopper but they don't trust anything from Nigeria!

Heather said...

yea, new pics!

All4Naija said...

"It was lots of fun. I would be an obessive ebay shopper but they don't trust anything from Nigeria" I quite agree with you on that but the largest percentage of credit cards crime comes from developed countries.

Ebay should have known by now that the credit cards crime require good technological familiarity with is lacking in places like Nigeria.

Nigeria cannt be trusted but no so much of advanced technological facilities like the credit cards.

Anyway, good photos.