Thursday, March 5, 2009

Society of the Performing Arts

Dance Teachers in Training



This year I have been working with SPAN, which is the Society of the Performing Arts of Nigeria. It is a nonprofit organization that uses tuition paid from the wealthier students as well as outside donations to fund programs in public schools and orphanages around Lagos. Before SPAN, there was no actual training in ballet, jazz, or ballroom dance in Nigeria. I started a teacher training program for young adults who are interested in becoming dance teachers for SPAN. We have been focusing on a ballet and jazz technique and choreography. They are nowhere near perfect but they have improved so much since the summer, especially since I am traveling pretty often out of Nigeria. Each of them has become a real friend to me and I am so thankful that I have gotten to know them.





Jazz class



I also teach several creative movement classes and regular ballet classes for kids. These are some of the little ones doing their butterfly dance. Josephine is one of my assistants and a member of the SPAN teacher training program. I don't have very many pics because I always get too caught up in their classes to remember to take pictures. I will post more later hopefully.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I love the wings!! They're too cute.. And I'm realizing that you might be home in time for Alana's first recital..