Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Visit to school and ophanage



This morning I joined one of my friends and we visited a local maternity clinic that is also a school/ orphange. The school is one of the organizations supported by the American Women's Club. I met the lady who runs the school- everyone calls her Mama Teresa. Apparently she inherited some property and uses the rent income to fund the clinic/school/orphanage. There is a section for babies and children whose mothers cannot care for them. When we were there we met a two day old baby girl whose mother could not keep her after having her in the clinic. She was so cute and slept the whole time we were there. Dave almost got a surprise to come home to tonight!



I taught them a few songs and dances. This was the older kids doing "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes." They seemed like they were having a great time.



They are doing some coloring. To donate, I took some children's books that I shipped for the purpose of giving them to people who would use them. The teachers were excited to recieve new books for the school.



Here are some of the younger kids. They are all between 2 and 4. I had so much fun with them and I will bring some music with me next time I visit to teach them some more dances. Most of the day they are crammed in a really small room so I think they really liked to get outside and move around.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad you got to go to the school -- I bet the music and dance you brought with you was a nice treat for the kids!

Heather said...

Wow, that is so cool! You are such the perfect person to do that. Were you crying when you saw the orphanage?

Jenn said...

I was thinking exactly the same thing, Heather! (About the crying anyway..) That's very cool that you got to do that, and I'm kind of surprised that you were able to control yourself & NOT give Dave the shock of his life..